The ARTAS® Robotic Procedure
The ARTAS® Robotic Procedure restores your hair by transplanting permanent hair from the back or side of the head into thinning areas. Your physician uses the ARTAS Robotic System to digitally scan areas of the scalp, identifying hair in its natural groupings. Selected hair is then precisely removed, using the ARTAS Robotic System’s image-guided robotics. Most of your hair is left in place so that the area retains its natural appearance.
The hair is then transplanted by the physician into thinning areas. This transplanted hair will then grow naturally in its new location, just as it did before.
Here are the typical steps of an ARTAS® Robotic Procedure:
- The area of the scalp to be used for transplantation is trimmed so it can be digitized by the ARTAS Robotic System. The doctor will apply a local anesthetic. A skin tensioner is placed on the scalp so that the System can accurately locate and harvest the hair in its natural groupings.
- The ARTAS Robotic System digitally maps the area, analyzing the position of each natural grouping of hair.
- With the doctor’s guidance, the System harvests donor hair in a random fashion, so that the area retains its original appearance. The above process is repeated until the desired amount of hair is acquired.
- The grafts are then transplanted into the desired areas of the scalp, according to your physician’s design. These implanted grafts grow as permanent hair.
What happens after the procedure?
- Most patients quickly return to their normal activities, often within a day or two.
- After a week, both the donor and recipient areas should have a similar appearance as before the procedure.
- At approximately six months, most patients enjoy a noticeable improvement.
- By nine months, they can experience natural-looking hair that will last a lifetime.